University of Minnesota
Fraser Hall, Chemistry Undergraduate Teaching Laboratory Facility
BWBR teamed with VJAA to create a design solution that replaces and improves outdated general and organic chemistry teaching labs throughout campus and consolidates them in Fraser Hall. The project will remove circa-1954 building additions, renovate the remaining 1928 Fraser Hall, and construct a new addition with a mechanical penthouse.
Located on a prominent site overlooking the Mississippi River, the Fraser Hall renewal will be home to seven general chemistry, four life sciences, and seven organic chemistry teaching labs. These teaching labs will be highly utilized and will create needed laboratory teaching capacity for the University. The project will also introduce tutoring and informal student collaboration spaces, as well as replace mechanical, electrical, and life safety systems.
Designed in collaboration with lead design architect VJAA.
Size: 30,370 gross sq. ft. renovation; 91,350 gross sq. ft. new construction
Components: Renovated and new spaces will include seven general chemistry, four life sciences, and seven organic chemistry teaching labs with associated student collaboration and prep/storage; tutoring and informal student collaboration spaces; professional offices; renovated general purpose classrooms; future nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) space; loading, storage, and operational support spaces; existing mechanical, electrical, and life safety systems will be replaced
Scheduled Completion: Pending legislative funding