BWBR’s history with Saint Paul goes all the way back to the beginning of the firm in 1922, when University of Minnesota School of Architecture graduate William (Bill) Ingemann began his architectural practice as INGEMANN. At just 25 years old, he set up shop in downtown Saint Paul and, alongside his future wife Dorothy Brink, herself a drafter and exceptional design talent, built a thriving practice. The firm designed dozens of buildings in the upper Midwest, including public schools, hospitals, churches, community centers, college and municipal buildings, and private residences, and evolved over the next 100 years to become the BWBR of today.
The firm’s name comes from BERGSTEDT WAHLBERG BERGQUIST ROHKOHL, the names of the principals (Milt Bergstedt, Chuck Wahlberg, Lloyd Bergquist, and Fritz Rohkohl) during the early 1970s, though it was shortened to BWBR by the end of the decade. Located in the heart of downtown Saint Paul, the office enjoys proximity to parks, culture, and sports amenities, including Rice Park, the Landmark Center, and the Xcel Energy Center.